Chicken and Chickpea Tagine with Sweet Potato and Prunes
Okay, so this one is a little more effort, but totally worth it! So tasty, and makes a great meal prep dish as a one pot wonder!!!
- 6 chicken thighs cut into 2.5cm cubes
- Large pinch saffron threads
- 1 large brown onion – chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 500g sweet potato – cut into 4cm cubes
- 120g prunes
- 1 x 400g tin chicken peas – drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon zest
- Chopped coriander and mint to serve
1. Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season the chicken thigh with salt ad cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden all over. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate, saving any juice that escapes.
2. Meanwhile place saffron threads into a small bowl and pour over ½ cup hot water and stand for 5 minutes
3. Heat another 2 tbs oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
4. Add onion, garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the cumin and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
5. Add the saffron and water, tomatoes, stock, sweet potato and prunes. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Place lid on top partially, cover, then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. Stir in the chickpeas, lemon zest, chicken and juices. Season with salt and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through.
7. Serve with extra greens and some couscous.